[mythtv-users] Mysql error and Setup error

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 16 10:42:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:26:58AM -0400, John C. Forsythe wrote:
> I have two problems, one concerns mysql and the other setup.
>
> Mysql to start out with. First off I have no password set for root, I
> know the risks but Myth is behind a firewall and I will correct the
> situation after everything is setup and running. When i entered the
> database# mysql -u root < mc.sql i got this error ERROR 1045: Access
> denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using no password: NO) however when
> i looked at the contents of /database i have these two items mc.sql
> and /old so did the command work despite the error? if not how do i
> rectify the situation

Keep in mind that while the mysql username may be root, the passwords
are not linked -- it is possible to have set a password on root at mysql
even if you don't have a password on root at localhost (the usernames,
though identical, live in two separate namespaces).

> then on a hunch that the mysql error was just a fluke and/or non
> fatal i cd'd into setup and entered ./setup this was the response
> bash: ./setup: No such file or directory how do i rectify the
> situation

Check the permission bits on setup/setup and make sure it's executable;
also, make sure you're in the *right* setup directory.  (Is there more
than one?  I dunno; wrong computer.  But it's worth checking.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi