[mythtv-users] Re: lossless mpeg2 commercial cutting?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Mon Aug 16 12:15:32 EDT 2004

Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> I just received a patch to nuvexport that adds a "remove commercials"
> option for the mpeg2 users out there.  It's a total hack, and rather
> sucks because avidemux2 still requires X (it can be worked around with a
> gtk->curses library, but it's still really messy).

Hehe, yes, my script is a glorious hack, isn't it? :)  I make no claim that it
is elegant, but it does get the job done.  And with the latest patch that was
applied at about 3:00AM EDT, it no longer shows the hideous avidemux screen
when using curses.

> I seem to remember that there was once some good almost-finished (couple
> of sync bugs, no?) code for this built right into mythtv.  What ever
> happened to this part of the project?

Well, avidemux2 is GPL software, I don't think there's anything preventing
someone from using their code in mythtv.  I don't really want to be doing it
personally, as avidemux uses gtk and myth qt, and I don't do either on a
regular basis :)

It would be nice to have a cleaner way to do this though.  tcmplex doesn't
cut it for me, BTW.  It won't renumber PTS as far as I can tell.

Ciao