[mythtv-users] Re: Mythtv on 2.6

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Tue Aug 17 03:28:01 EDT 2004

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:49:20 +0200
> From: huffman at graze.net
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Mythtv on 2.6
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> Is anyone running mythtv on 2.6 successfully?  Does your machine have
> 512MB of
> memory or more?  What install are you using?  15.1 atrpms?  CVS?  What
> distro?
> And finally, if you compiled, did you change the optimization options
> in
> settings.pro?  I'm still having mythbackend crashes on my P4 2Gig w/
> 512 MB
> memory , latest ivtv, and mythtv CVS.  :-(
>
> Brian

I've been running mythtv on 2.6 since roughly the time MDK-10 community
released, on Cooker, and now back 10 10-official, 2.6.7-sds...23mdk

I add thacs, contrib, plf, as well as main sources, deselect the CDs in
drakconf, and did a "urpmi mythtv-suite ivtv- -a" which either sucks
from thacs or plf, and everything else as required.

2100+, Au11 MB (NF2), 2 M179s, 1 bt878. Ran fine with 256M, added
another 512M as it is my main box + backend +frontend+feeds the
xbox/mythtv setup in the LR.

Totally stable. Save yourself some trouble and just say "NO" to alsa.

The latest sds kernel is also available from thacs, but doesn't support
booting from reiserfs for some unknown reason, I just build from source.
(also urpmi-able)

With a good connection +fast machine, <1 hour from blank disc to
recording/viewing, assuming you are already familiar with basic myth
setup.