[mythtv-users] SO Close to completing my setup! Recurring sound issues!

Cedric Tefft cedric at phreaker.net
Tue Aug 17 05:44:49 EDT 2004

jamesjtucker at comcast.net wrote:

> Ok, i have been at this for almost a week now. Thru the help of this
> list and a few *nix junkie pals, i have managed to get a more or less
> complete setup.
>
> For some reason, however, my  sound problems just wont go away. I have
> alsa configured per the docs, using the command line.
>
> When i do the /usr/sbin/alsactl store, Myth has worked in the past
> until i reboot.

I had a similar problem under Fedora Core 2.  On startup, the frontend
would occasionally complain about not being able to open the sound
device /dev/dsp and when I was watching LiveTV or a recording it would
generate a stream of audio buffer overflow errors (and give me no
sound).  It was very inconsistent, and I never did figure out what the
root cause was, but I got around the problem by telling KDE not to use
the sound system at all:

Start the KDE control center, go to Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System,
and uncheck "enable the sound system".

> While trying to resolve this, a friend who i trust told me that i
> should try "/usr/sbin/alsactl --file /etc/asound.state store"
>
> This didnt help anything either.
>
> Now i have other issues. On the left channel, i can get fairly loud
> sound, but the right is not there, although if i listen close i can
> hear an "echo" about 3 sounds behind.

Guessing , but maybe one of the audio plugs is loose?  Assuming you have
at least one 3.5mm headphone plug in your audio setup, try fiddling with
it a little bit.  I have seen the case where it's necessary to back the
plug out of the jack just the barest fraction of a millimeter to get the
left and right channels coming through loud and clear.  Anyway, I didn't
have this problem with my Myth setup, so it may be unrelated to your
other issue.

- Cedric