[mythtv-users] Raid configurations

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 18 02:10:23 EDT 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 16:32, Milan Andric wrote:

>>>  Sorry to sound like a newbie here, but is there somewhere I could
>>> find
>>> good instructions on setting up Raid5 with XFS?  I also have FC2 and
>>> a TX4 and having looking around for setup options.
>>>

>> I wrote up what I did here:
>> http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/AdministrationSoftware/LvmRaid
>
> thanks for the write-up. i still haven't built my myth box/fileserver
> yet
> but since i'm planning to use jarod's guide (based on FC1) i'm
> wondering:
>
> Does FC1 (2.4 kernel) support LVM and SATA as you described in the
> LvmRaid
> howto?

Support for LVM is there in FC1, no question. Support for *some* SATA
chipsets is there. SATA support is much better in 2.6 kernels (until
Marcello gives in and backports all the SATA drivers to 2.4... :-).
Most of my doc applies to FC2 as well, you just need the 10pre ivtv
drivers if you're using an ivtv card.

> Or does anyone have comments about raid arrays + MythTV on 2.4 vs. 2.6?

I'm rather partial to the new system I'm setting up. Gentoo w/a 2.6.8
kernel, software RAID-5 laid across six SCSI drives and LVM on top of
that...

> i'm still trying to figure out what distro/kernel version to use for my
> MythTV box.

My main frontend system runs FC2 now. But all my capture is done on an
FC1 machine to ATA drives.

> thanks for any advice.

Things are actually pretty easy and stable w/FC2 now, I just haven't
had time to update my docs to reflect that fact.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...