[mythtv-users] DVICO FusionHDTV III QAM card

Michael Hartman hartmms at yzf600.dns2go.com
Wed Aug 18 17:07:54 EDT 2004

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:23:04AM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > To note, the HD-3000 card from pcHDTV coming out in a few weeks _Will_
> > have QAM support, but QAM is only good if the stream provider is not
> > encrypting their channels, which many do.
>
> To follow up on that, it *sounds* like you're suggesting that the 3000
> could be hooked up to digital cable, and might be able to be convinced
> to decode such (sub-)channels as are not encrypted.  Is that what you
> mean?

Yes, that is what he means.

> If a (sub-)channel's data stream *was* encrypted, how would you tell?
> Cause it wasn't a valid MPEG stream?  Am I the only one on the list who
> gives a crap about digital cable?  ;-)

If the stream were encrypted, it would not play back at all. It would
confuse the MPEG decoder so bad it would display nothing.

Don't get your hopes up for getting digital channels unencrypted. I have
no hard data, but I would guess that most cable companies encrypt their
digital content. It is so easy for them to do. Just toggle a few
checkboxes in software and vola, encrpted digital content is enabled and
working.

--
Yeah, whatever.