[mythtv-users] Considering a Pundit. Pls advise.

Brad Cox bcox at virtualschool.edu
Wed Aug 18 18:10:02 EDT 2004

After trying to bash my aged DELL Optiplex into a TV server, I'm
considering returning it to its development role and buying a Pundit.
But their website is a bit light on details. In particular

Exactly what does bare bones mean? Minus windoze, fine. Hardware
assembly, not so fine.

Haven't seen mention of disk size. Do I buy that separately or is
that provided? How big?

Is the fan quiet enough to live with in the living room? If not, what
are my options?

What do I need to do to make it boot headless? My 80 lb terminals are
downstairs and hauling them upstairs is definitely NOT an option.
That's been the killer  with my Dell/Fedora 1 box. I'm sick of
hauling it up/down stairs to get it to boot.

Does its CD support DVD playing and ripping? If not, what options for
replacing it? Can I replace it with the Sony DVD (latest version)
from my Dell?

Are there enough PCI slots for my Haupage 350 plus wireless card? How
many slots exactly?

Can't string ethernet to that room so wireless is critical. Any
issues getting Linksys Wirelss-G WMP54G G (not B) working with WAP
(not WEP) security? Managed it (barely) with Dell/Fedora, but it was
a terrible job. Linksys support even told me  that WAP wasn't
possible with that product on Linux, and suggested I buy a new card
from a different vendor. Jerks. The wpa_supplicant project proved
them wrong ;)
--
Brad J. Cox, PhD, 703 361 4751, http://virtualschool.edu
        http://virtualschool/ale Action Learning Environment