[mythtv-users] DVICO FusionHDTV III QAM card

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 18 21:19:40 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 07:00:39PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> My understanding is that the pcHDTV and the FusionHDTV III are both
> "software" HD tuner cards--they have no MPEG decoder hardware on board.
> Instead, they pass demodulated signal data through the bus to a software
> decoder.
>
> I think what Michael is saying is that if the channel were, in fact,
> encrypted, the signal received over the bus would not be an MPEG stream,
> so when it's passed to a software MPEG decoder, the decoder would not be
> able to decode the video.  In other words, he's agreeing with your
> initial guess of how to tell it's encrypted.

<phew>

Great; and I hope you're correct.  That's what I would *want*.

I wonder if Myth is smart enough to handle "yes, these two events don't
conflict because they're on the same TS of the same card".  I suspect
it will become so, if it isn't already.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi