[mythtv-users] [CVS: Jul 23/24] Jump Ahead causes video freeze -- new vsync code?

Thu Aug 19 19:47:41 EDT 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

> John Patrick Poet wrote:
>

>> When using the 23Jul04 CVS version of myth, I can Jump around in a
>> show and it works just fine.
>>
>> As of the 24Jul04 CVS version of myth, Jumping around in a show will
>> frequently cause the video to freeze.  When this happens the output
>> of mythfrontend -v playback shows:
>>
>> [snip]
>> 2004-08-18 16:59:16 A/V diverged by 11389.5 frames, extending frame
>> to keep audio in sync
>> [snip]
>> 2004-08-18 16:59:35 A/V diverged by 8536.36 frames, extending frame
>> to keep audio in sync
>> [snip]
>> What is interesting, is that if I just leave it alone (not press any
>> keys), after about 50 seconds the video will start playing again.
>> Then after a few seconds of the video playing fine, mythfrontend will
>> terminate with an "Aborted" message.
>

> I skipped forward/back through a few recordings, and didn't have any
> troubles.  But from your messages, I'd guess your MPEG stream (or
> maybe your soundcard) is providing bad timing data immediately upon
> returning from a reposition.  Can you try the attached patch (against
> latest CVS, but the pieces should apply to any version since the vsync
> reimplementation) and see if it helps?  There's probably a better way
> to fix this, but w/o being able to reproduce it I'm clueless.
>
> If this doesn't work, can you make a 5-minute recording off your
> station available somewhere?
>
> -Doug

Awsome!  This patch fixed the problem for me.

Even after this patch, I was still getting it to "Aborted" occationally,
but a "make distclean;make;make install" seems to have fixed that.

Thank you!

John

P.S.  What are you using for a soundcard?  I am using an old SB Live!  I
tried using the onboard S/PDIF, but it caused an occational crackel in
the sound.