[mythtv-users] 30 second skip == stutter

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Aug 21 17:25:20 EDT 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:

> With the latest CVS, I am getting the best, smoothest video playback of
> HD matterial I have ever had.  It is basically perfect!

Good to hear!  That's my goal.  I want to try realtime scheduling of the
videoout (and maybe decode) thread, so it's perfect for heavier loads
and/or less CPU.  But I think all the pieces are there now.

> However, skipping forward or backwards causes the video to stutter for
> several seconds.  I am currently using ALSA->OSS emulation via a S/PDIF
> connector.  When I use pure ALSA, the stutter is not near as bad, but I
> get segfaults and aborts.
>
> Doug, here is the log from mythfrontend with "-v playback".  Is there
> anything I can do to "tune" the A/V sync?

I think the problem here is that we're not managing to seek to exactly
the same spot in the video and audio streams, and so it takes a little
while for them to be back in sync.  I have not done any investigation to
confirm my suspicion.

I also think there's something odd going on with your setup that I don't
see here... you seem to get audio timestamps that are way off after a
seek; the patch that pins the adjustment to 200 frames masks this
problem, but doesn't actually fix it.  Unfortunately without being able
to reproduce it there's not a lot I can do except offer encouragement.

-Doug