[mythtv-users] Can postgresql be used with mythtv?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Aug 22 01:25:40 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:01:51AM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 22 August 2004 12:25 am, John Goerzen wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 August 2004 8:49 pm, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > > I did some google searches but did not come up with a definitive
> > > answer to the question of using postgresql with mythtv.
> > >
> > > I am currently collecting information on what it takes and how to
> > > setup a PVR system.  Trying to decide on the hardware required and
> > > figure out what software to use.
> > >
> > > The mythtv project looks pretty good.  From what I have read it
> > > appears that mysql is used.  I would prefer to use postgresql if
> > > possible.
> >
> > I agree, but I believe it is tightly coupled to MySQL.  I've had some
> > problems with MySQL having corrupted tables after a hard crash.
> > (mysqlcheck has almost always gotten things back to working order, but
> > still... PostgreSQL has NEVER done that to me.)
>
> The largest thing that makes myth 'tightly coupled' to mysql is it
> tells Qt to load the mysql driver. Other than that, I'm not aware of
> anything that would prevent the useage of postgres. There may be a few
> queries that need modified, but I doubt it would take much effort.
>
> I have no interest in spending my time making myth work with other DB
> backends - apparently no one else who professes an interest in running
> other DBs cares all that much, either. I've not seen a single person
> even look into it, aside from the occasional question on the lists.

Since I'm having 145 error problems, and not getting any replies at all
to my queries on it, I might be Mr PostGreSQL guy.

Specifically: do you do any inserts that default numeric columns?  By
which I mean inserting a NULL (or an empty string, which casts the same
way), into an INTEGER column?  Cause that's the major thing that cranks
newer versions of PG off.  If not, it probably won't be too hard a
port.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi