[mythtv-users] What am I doing wrong? (Could not open network socket)

Cedric Tefft cedric at phreaker.net
Sun Aug 22 17:30:23 EDT 2004

Dave Bush wrote:

> Hey folks,
>    Well the PVR-350 came in, as did the new 200 GB hard drive. Both
> are installed now, and I can confirm the PVR-350 is working properly
> through "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg". I installed MythTV on this box
> the same way I did on my testing PC, but for some reason it's not
> working on this one. Every time I try to start mythtv-backend I get this:
>
> asok:~# /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error: Could not
> open network socket
> .
> asok:~#
>
>    The backend appears to be running, but something isn't quite right.
> When I go into the frontend and try to watch TV I get a series of this
> until I control-C out of the frontend:
>
> QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
> 2004-08-22 09:24:17 Error writing stringlist
> Remote encoder not responding.
>
>    Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> - Dave

Sounds like some other program is listening on one of your backend's
control sockets.  First, stop both the backend and frontend.  Next run
the backend setup program again and make note of which ports the backend
is configured to listen on (the defaults are 6543 and 6544, but if
you've modified them even by mistake..).  Now (with the backend still
shutdown), run (as root) 'netstat -a -p -n' and look for a program
that's listening on one of those ports.  Based on that information,
you'd want to change the configuration of MythTV or of the conflicting
program so that they don't listen on the same port(s) anymore.

- Cedric