[mythtv-users] What am I doing wrong? (Could not open network socket)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 22 23:23:12 EDT 2004

On 08/22/2004 08:59 PM, Dave Bush wrote:

> My biggest problem now lies with an incorrect tuner setting on my new
> PVR-350. (it's not tuner type 2 or 5 that I can tell - getting that
> "colors not quite right, and actualy channel watched = channel # -1"
> problem right now. Fighting through that at the moment. That's more an
> IVTV problem though, so I'll bug those folks next. ;)

Well, since we're already here...

If you have a new PVR-x50, it sounds like you're using a card with an LG
TAPE (probably the H091F) tuner.  Hauppauge just started using that
tuner within the last couple of months.  If it's not new, you just need
to find the right tuner type (see the tveeprom output below).

The latest ck patches have your tuner mapped to a PAL tuner (type = 37),
even though it's an NTSC tuner (which causes the channels off by one
problem and bad colors).  Unfortunately, the tuner you have is not yet
supported by the BTTV project (IvyTV uses the tuner module from the BTTV
project).  Users on the IvyTV ML had been setting the tuner type to 39
to get partial functionality (channels up to 61 worked, everything above
was static) by using the definition for the previous rev of the tuner.

However, I just posted a patch for BTTV/the Linux kernel that adds
support for the tuner (as well as a patch for the latest ck patches
which provides autodetection support), and am actively (hence the post
here) soliciting feedback.  If you do have this tuner (tveeprom will
report idx = 68, see below), please see the thread at
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Aug-2004/msg00286.html and I would very much
appreciate your feedback if you get a chance to test the patches.

Thanks,

Mike

tveeprom output for the new tuner:

tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 32552, rev = C168, serial# = 7277385
tveeprom: tuner = <unknown> (idx = 68, type = -1)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3440 (type = 11)

Note that on the second line, tveeprom reports an index and a type.  The
type is the value that should be used for the type in the tuner option.
If the type given is -1, the tuner is unidentified.  However, the idx =
68 in this case corresponds to the LG TAPE tuner for which patches are
posted at the above URL.  Once the patches are applied, the tuner will
no longer be shown as unidentified.