[mythtv-users] commercial detection causing backend to stop

Shawn core at enodev.com
Mon Aug 23 16:27:16 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 10:01 -1000, James L. Paul wrote:
> On Monday 23 August 2004 08:17, James Armstrong wrote:
> > Is there any 'Exits' in the commercial detection code that will cause
> > the backend to exit when an error is returned? I was asking because it
> > looks like I had a recording with some loss of signal in the HDTV stream
> > that was causing the commercial detection code to return errors
> > (mpeg2video errors in the log). Every time this would happen the backend
> > process would disappear and I would have to restart it. I finally got it
> > stable be deleting the recording.
> >
> > - James
>
> I don't have an answer, but I have the same problem. In the past month I've
> had the backend die a half dozen times or so. When I restart it, it dies
> again after starting commercial flagging. If I delete the program being
> flagged or turn off commercial detection, it stops dying.

I too am having what appears to be the exact same issue. ivtv gets a
little stuffed up, the nuv gets a little crappy, and my spider-man gets
chopped into 15 pieces (King-pin would be pleased) because commercial
detection causes backend crashes and my backend-auto-restart script
restarts the backend.

I was wondering what would have caused recording to reliably die 1
minute and 55 seconds after it starts, and commercial detection did seem
screwy.

Man, though... I didn't think anything would make me forsake my TiVo...
Mad props to myth! I still love you though, TiVo... The happy, hokey,
goofy, whimsical, wobbling, spooky faceless (yet with a painted-on face)
floppy footed TV guy perched on my Now Playing list will always hold a
special place in my heart.

-Shawn