[mythtv-users] Re: Mascot? (Was: commercial detection causing backend to stop)

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Aug 25 19:18:37 EDT 2004

Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> Part of me hates to do it (like I am gloating), but the other part of me is
> very proud, so:
>
> Yay! Someone liked Iulius! =)
>
> Nothing else to see here. Move along.

You can't deflect praise quite that easily. I like it! In fact,
I liked a lot of the work you did earlier, Nate. I kinda hoped
you'd continue to offer good stuff.

Iulius.4 wasn't quite as good. The highlight for the selected
item on menus was hard to see and I didn't really like the
background texture. But the original Iulius really appeals
to me. The background is nice and provides good contrast for
text and there are no 'bad spots' that make text hard to read.
There are no per-menu item images and, ya, images can be nice
but they take up space on the screen. Instead, Iulius uses
all the space to make the menus clean and easy to read. The
fonts are large and the highlight bar is easy to see (impossible
to miss ;-). The bar is nearly the width of the screen but
not so wide that it feels crowded with overscan. By having
this wide space, it can display long menu item names without
truncating. Some themes don't have enough room for strings the
length of "Schedule Recordings". No problem with Iulius. I
also like the effect of the strings being centered rather than
right or left justified. It has the illusion of a stack of
choices.

Easy to read, easy to navigate, I like it. Thanks, Nate.

--  bjm