[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at fmsglobal.com
Sat Aug 28 09:17:22 EDT 2004

For some reason my ivtv drivers do not seem to be loading at startup.

>From a clean boot I do an lsmod and get the output as at :

http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/lsmod

If I do a 'modprobe ivtv' and then another lsmod I get :

http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/modprobe+lsmod

This looks to me if the ivtv drivers are being loaded correctly with the
modprobe. Can someone confirm that this is a reasonable assumption? (if this
is obvious please bear in mind that I am no linux techie)

I am able to capture video as per Jarod's guide and can successfully dd it
straight to the television (pretty pictures).

What I cannot seem to do is get X running.

If I boot and then modprobe ivtv can I then try to get it to load X? What
command do I use?

Am I correct in thinking that the ivtv drivers should be loaded on startup
given my config? (http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/)

Grepping through /var/log/messages (after a boot but before doing a
'modprobe ivtv') I notice the last lines are :

Aug 28 22:20:34 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0

Aug 28 22:20:35 porky gdm[5059]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
Restarting :0

Aug 28 22:20:35 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0

Aug 28 22:20:36 porky gdm[5073]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
Restarting :0

Aug 28 22:20:39 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0

Aug 28 22:20:40 porky gdm[5078]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
Restarting :0

Aug 28 22:20:43 porky modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module fb0

Aug 28 22:20:44 porky gdm[5095]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
Restarting :0

Aug 28 22:20:44 porky gdm[4999]: deal_with_x_crashes: Running the
XKeepsCrashing script

Aug 28 22:20:53 porky gdm[4999]: Failed to start X server several times in a
short time period; disabling display :0

This being the same problem I posted last week (sorry to not get back before
now guys, work got in the way).

All of my current config files, logs etc are at :

http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/

As stated in prior thread my rig is as follows :

Intel motherboard

P4 2.4 Gig

512Mb

Hauppage PVR 350

Fedora Core 1

2.4.22-1.2197.nptl_51.rhfc1.at

I'm in Sydney, Australia and therefore using PAL.

Setup is via Jarod's guide with apt-get

Just feeling out of my depth here. I guess I'm used to having a few more
layers between me and the hardware. (me being a Java coder)

Regards

Marty