[mythtv-users] running mythv on vmware without video input hardware

Travis Kelley rhatguy at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 09:34:39 EDT 2004

In short...yes.  There is no reason why the software shouldn't come up
as long as you can get X running inside VMware, which shouldn't be a
problem.  Now the long answer.  The menus and skins are the easy part.
Mythfrontend is just a program like any other.  "MOST" of the time if
you have X (and mythbackend of course) running mythfrontend will be able
to come up.  Its when you actually start playing video or tv that some
people run into problems depending on their setup.  I guess if you just
want to see how myth works then vmware would be a good test...but I'm
not sure it would be much better than looking at screenshots unless you
play some video with it as well.