[mythtv-users] RE: Problems starting X with PVR 350

Daniel Savard dsavard at cids.ca
Sun Aug 29 00:32:11 EDT 2004

Le sam 28/08/2004 à 20:33, Martin Ravell a écrit :

> [Stuff removed for brevity]
>
> >This is related to a wrong X configuration leading to the server crash.
> >Seems it is trying to use the wrong driver as the framebuffer. And this
> >is directly related to the Device section in your XF86Config.
> >
> >>From this section, I suppose you have downloaded the ivtvdev_drv.o
> >driver from this URL: http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ivtvdev_drv.o.gz
> >and have ungzipped it and moved it to the
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ directory.
>

> Yes, this is what I did. The link I used from the page that you recommended
> was:
>
> Binary version of the X driver
>
> (http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ivtvdev_drv.o.gz)
>

> Is copying over this one file all that is necessary?

The file in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers must be ivtvdev_drv.o, so,
make sure you have an unzipped ivtvdev_drv.o file otherwise it won't
work at all. You can check with the following command:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o

the result should be something like:

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o: ELF 32-bit LSB
relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

If your are getting something like:
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ivtvdev_drv.o: gzip compressed data, was
"ivtvdev_drv.o", from Unix

Your nightmare is probably finished. Just do:

mv ivtvdev_drv.o ivtvdev_drv.o.gz
gunzip ivtvdev_drv.o

> >Maybe you have it wrong with the BusID? What is you lspci output?
> >

> The relevant part of my lspci is :
>
> 01:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2
> Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
>         Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>

> I took this to mean that the Device section in my XF86Config should look
> like this as a result :
>

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR350"
>         Driver      "ivtvdev"
>         Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
>         BusID "1:00:0"
> EndSection

Maybe a little bit silly, but you may try BusID "01:00:0" instead of
BusID "1:00:0", just to make sure the problem is not related to such an
oddity in the XF86Config parser.

> >Also, I must admit I don't run a 2.4 kernel, neither a ivtv 0.1.9
> >driver, I have switched to latest unstable ivtv driver. So, there may be
> >some patches to apply and also the http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz page
> >add to the confusion redirecting you to the following URL:
> >http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/ for the latest stable ivtv driver and
> >patches where you can found unstable stuff as well...
>

> I have been contemplating getting into compiling up drivers from source
> myself but had come to the decision that I would try to keep things simple
> at least to start with.
>
> I have FC2 on CD's but when reading the list prior to my install attempt I
> was getting the distinct feeling that 2.6 was still bleeding profusely when
> it came to Myth and I did used to have an Nvidia card in this machine which
> apparently had issues with 4k stacks.
>
> I've pulled the GeForce card during an effort to isolate the problem. (It
> now just has a screen plugged into the motherboard's VGA.)
>
> Could the drivers I installed for the Nvidia card be causing me grief? I had
> assumed that if these were not being references in the config files they
> would not be being used.
>
> > All of my current config files, logs etc are at :
> >
> > http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/

I don't want to push you to switch to 2.6 or anything like that. I am
just stating I cannot help much with 2.4 ivtv issues since I never made
it working in such an environment. So, I don't know if there is some
specific problems to address in order to make it working. It is probably
better to stick to 2.4 rather than playing with something new if you are
not comfortable with Linux.

I will look at the config files and logs if updated later. BTW, I just
tried your URL above and I am redirected somewhere else... Could you
make sure to copy as well the XFree logfiles as found in the /var/log
directory making sure you are picking the right files (look at the
timestamp) and copy them under their original name.