[mythtv-users] Debugging MythTV issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 30 16:40:28 EDT 2004

On 08/26/2004 01:55 PM, Abhi wrote:

> --On Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:47 AM +0200 maestro
> <waggawagga at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> just a wild quess... have you changed your ivtv driver to some ck
>> version?
>
> yup, I had to use ivtv from
> <http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/>
> It was a ck version. Since its 2.6 kernel
>
>> because if so you don't need any parameters anymore in your
>> modprobe.conf (afaik they sometimes the conflict with autodetection). at
>> least ck100b (what i'm using) does its job with autodetection really
>> great.
>
> I tried that (removed all lines from modprobe.conf) and it still
> didn't work
> Would you mind sending me your modprobe.conf file.

Only applicable lines should be:
# WinTV PVR-350 support
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

Don't change it back.  Just because that didn't solve it doesn't mean
that you should put it back the way it was.  Maestro was right.  No
options should be specified for the newest versions.

> I have been trying
> cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/m.mpg
> mplayer /tmp/m.mpg
>
> I guess this is the first test, to make sure that the tuner is
> working, right?

Yes.  However, I would guess that you have a brand-new US (NTSC) PVR-350
with an "unsupported" tuner (your driver version doesn't properly detect
it).  Show us your log files and it would be easier to find out.
Specifically, I need to see the part between "START INIT IVTV" and "END
INIT IVTV" in your /var/log/messages file (or dmesg output after loading
your modules).  Make sure you provide the appropriate section resulting
from loading the modules without any options.

Also, you might want to post to the ivtv mailing lists, instead.

Mike