[mythtv-users] PVR 350 vs PVR 250?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 30 18:35:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 05:02:33PM -0400, David George wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >Note that the 250MCE *has* the decoder, but since there's no TV-out
> >hardware, no one's figured out whether it can be used as a standalone
> >hardware decode-codec yet.
> >
> You sure about that?
>
> Actually the cx23415 that was in the PVR-350 and the *old* PVR-250 is an
> encoder/decoder.  The cx23416 which is in most retail PVR-250 including
> the PVR-250 MCE is an encoder only.

It's the OEM rev1 card; I *thought* that it was the MCE because it says
it includes the FM tuner; perhaps I was wrong.

> I guess we should also include the standard warning about the
> "blackbird" PVR-250.  This design uses the cx23880 which isn't yet
> supported in the ivtv driver.  You may also see this referred to as the
> Hauppauge Roslyn board.  Sorry, I don't know much more about these
> because most people just avoid them.
>
> There was a guide somewhere with pictures and model numbers, but I don't
> have a link handy.  Should be able to find it with some googling.

If you do find it, I'd love to link it from the Wiki; please post.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi