[mythtv-users] Need IR receiver recommendation

Will egroups at klubbing.com
Wed Dec 1 11:50:20 UTC 2004

>>> Need IR receiver recommendation.  Needs to be compatible with MythTV.  I
>>> would also like to use it with xine and tvtime.  I don't want to build
>>> one.  I want to buy one.  Recommendations?
>>

>> I got mine from
>> http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=buy
>>
>> It was only 12EUR (9) including shipping from Italy to me in the UK --
>> it's $15 inclusive to the USA. You need a free serial port (no usb), but
>> it's a nice cheap solution and it works with lirc. :)
>>

> I bought one of these, too, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
> It's very small, so does it require a serial cable to put it in a position
> where you can point your remote at it?  Or does it not require
> line-of-sight?

With the receiver plugged into the back of my beige box, and no way for the
signals to get to it except bouncing over the top of the case, I get about
13 feet. This also means the receiving sensor is pointing sideways too.

Line-of-sight, I just turned my PC around and measured right into the far
corner of the room and it still works fine at 20 feet.

This is using the standard remote which came with my Avermedia DVB-T 771
card.

I will be using a video sender with remote control functionality when I have
checked my system passes the GAF test, so this doesn't really affect me. But
it certainly seems to have good capabilities. Reminds me of the receiver
used in the xbox dvd kit.

Will