[mythtv-users] Widescreen TV Truncated Display

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Dec 2 08:21:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:01:12AM -0500, Mark L. Cukier wrote:
> I do have one other question...
>
> Does anyone have any tips for making sure settings for a widescreen HD
> are valid, so that i don't blow up my TV..? This is a slight concern for
> me... ;-)
>
> Regards,
>   Mark

Well, do you have a safe setting you can use for sure?  Almost all TVs
will take 640x480 or 720x480.

Don't sue me if this doesn't work, but I suspect one approach would
be to fire up xvidtune, or powerstrip (on windows) and start changing
the settings.  When you get beyond the safe range I see one of three
things.

Most likely:  The TV will have a protector in it to prevent damage.  It
will switch to a safety screen to say "invalid signal."

Other option: If it doesn't, the screen will become garbled or you will
start to hear the electronics whine for being overdriven.  Shut down
immediately or return to the safe settings.  Know how to do that by
keyboard, you won't be able to see the screen!   Sorry, you have a monitor
you should not play with.

Unlikley but still possible: Even a few seconds of slightly off video
will hurt your display.  Oops!   Do this while still within warranty or
return to the store, because you got a pretty inferior product if this
is the case.

Probably safer to test the lower limits than the upper ones.

Try at your own risk.