[mythtv-users] Repeating audio on SMP machine

Kane Tse kanetse at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:02:32 UTC 2004

I have a remote backend which is a dual Athlon MP 1800 machine running
RedHat 9.0.  This machine contains an ATi TV Wonder PCI (not VE), which is
using btaudio (at 32000 KHz).  When the machine is recording, it is not used
for anything else.  So I don't think it's a CPU load problem.  The recording
is saved to an NFS-mount on the master backend.

The problem is that during recording, every few minutes or so, a segment of
audio will get repeated.  It might sound something like this:

Actual audio: "Hello.  My name is Bill.  How are you?"
What is recorded: "Hello.  Hello.  How are you?"

This also coincides with a stutter on the video image (but not a repeat).
Anyway, I am getting by for now because I can compensate by reading the
Closed Captions.  But it's a bit of a pain.  It is definitely in the
recording itself, because I tried to play it back on different remote
frontend machines and the audio-repeat occurs in exactly the same spots.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and solved it?  At some point, this
machine will replace my  backend, so I would like to figure this out.

This problem is also described in this thread, but there is no reply or
resolution:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/37883?search_string=audio%20repeat;#37883

I do notice that both myself and the original poster has a dual-processor
Althon machine containing the capture card.  I wonder if that could be the
problem?  Anyone else running a dual-processor Althon with a BT-8x8 based
card?

Thanks!