[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out usability?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 2 20:00:54 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 11:43, Randy Carpenter wrote:
> > > Now, since DVD is my primary concern, and TV recording is secondary,
> > > what is the best way to achieve S-video out with the highest quality?
> >
> > I'd go with an nVidia card if watching DVD rips is your primary concern.
>
> I am mostly looking at making pristine DVD copies (full quality). Is there
> any difference in using a standalone nvidia card versus the built-in video
> on an nforce2 MB ?

Not much, no. Not any difference that would be significant for your situation,
anyhow. (An AGP nVidia card is a bit better than on-board nForce2 graphics
for HDTV).

> I was also looking at the Asus Pundit as a possible
> system. Any comments on the s-video out quality versus the nvidia cards?

Haven't got a Pundit, can't say. I do have a SiS card, roughly equivalent to
the original Pundit's on-board video that isn't quite as good as my nVidia
cards. The on-board Radeon in the Pundit-R is being used successfully by a
number of people, but the driver support for it isn't as mature as nVidia's.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...