[mythtv-users] Nebie here...

jlartz junk_inbox at comcast.net
Thu Dec 2 22:01:00 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

  First of all, please have mercy on this MythTV Newbie...

  I'm a happy DishPlayer 7100 PVR user and I read a blurb about 'MythTV' in
the dishrip group and thought I'd check it out.  All I can say is "WOW!"...
It's amazing what you guys have collectively put together!!!   So, I'd love
to get started building a system, and as chance would have it, I've already
got most (if not all) of the hardware necessary to build a MythTV system.
(Hauppauge PVR-350, Athlon XP 1800, 512 ram, Matrox Millennium G450 Dual
Head, 120GB HDD, DVD +/-R/RW, etc.)

  But here's where the trouble comes in -- I've got very little experience
with Linux to date.  I'm highly technical, and quite proficient on PC
Hardware and the Windows side of the world, but very little exposure to
Linux.  I'm no stranger to command-line interfaces (I work with mainframe
systems that are all 'cli' based), so that aspect of Linux doesn't bother me
at all.  It's just all the 'little' Linux-specific commands and stuff that
you're supposed to know before attempting something like this that bothers
me...

  With that in mind, is it even possible for me to put this together without
having to have somebody 'hold my hand' through the whole process???  Is it a
really complex procedure (that it seems to be), or is there a simple
step-by-step guide of what to do that even a monkey could follow?  (Not that
I'm a monkey, but when it comes to Unix/Linux, my exposure has only been
about 99% just using it, from a shell prompt, and not
installing/compiling/configuring it.)   Are there any ISO images that I can
download to get started?

  I guessing that many of my questions may be answered in the archives, but
I haven't been able to find out how to search them like I can do with the
Yahoo or Google news groups...  Is there one?

  Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your replies...  You
can email me directly if you want (my address is indeed real).

Jeff