[mythtv-users] Playing Tivo .ty files within Myth?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 2 23:29:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:40:32PM -0800, Zot O'Connor wrote:
> Also it is also possible to convert the ty streams to mpeg (they are
> mpegs with extra headers).  Is there a prefered format for the internal
> player?  I would prefer to just move the ty stream obviously.

TyStudio will rip video from a TiVo directly to MPEG-2, or you can have it
convert a tyStream to MPEG-2.  It hasn't been updated in a while, but it's
worked fairly well for me.  I'd recommend starting the related services
(tyindex and tyserver) on the TiVo with "nice -n 19" to keep its processor
from getting too hammered.  I've run both the Windows and Linux clients (the
latter on my MythTV box) and they behave the same way.  (Since my TiVo and
my MythTV are in the same room, it's easier to rip to the MythTV box and
then let the WinXP box with the editing/authoring software pull from the
MythTV box with SMB.)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter