[mythtv-users] Idea for faster channel surfing

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Dec 3 00:10:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 05:30:50PM -0500, Michael Starks wrote:
> I had an idea about how the delay might be reduced when changing
> channels.  In a 2+ tuner system, can one tuner "leapfrog" the other and
> start buffering the next or previous channel, depending on the direction
> the user is surfing?
>
> For example, I start at channel three.
> Tuner two starts buffering channel four.
> I go to channel four and start reading the buffer.
> Tuner 1 starts buffering channel five.

Thought of this years ago and blogged it earlier on this year:

    http://ideas.4brad.com/archives/000103.html

But oddly, just reposted it yesterday in some other myth discussion
areas.  Something whose time has come -- if it weren't for the fact
that part of "getting" a PVR is to realize that channel surfing
is a silly idea.