[mythtv-users] Epia, MythTV, and a pile of confusion

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 3 05:29:58 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 16:04, Matt Picker wrote:
> So this xvMC stuff all confuses me.  I looked into the
> tv tuner stuff and found how to get the remote working
> the way I want so that won't be a problem.  What is
> the xvMC stuff exactly?

I believe X video Motion Compensation is what it stands for, but its more than
just motion compensation. Its hardware assistance for decoding video.

> Does Myth use this
> automatically?

You have to compile support for it into Myth, then I believe it is enabled by
default.

> I saw something about it regarding
> xine.  Do I have to use xine or will mplayer still use
> this stuff?

I believe either one will use XvMC if configured to do so.

> To clear things up, correct me if I am wrong, the
> Unichrome drivers are open source video drivers that
> already contain all the 3d stuff to make gl work
> smooth.

Sort of. The default driver does no 3D acceleration, there's a relatively new
branch that does do 3D, but still has some problems. Read over the pages at
that link I sent, and http://unichrome.sourceforge.net.

> This xvMC stuff refers to the mpeg decoding
> portion of the mobo.  Thats all i got so far.

That's pretty much it.

> Is there anything special about the Unichrome drivers?

Like what?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com