[mythtv-users] Jarod Instructions / mplayer

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 3 08:21:10 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 23:15, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I have a dumb question here.
>
> I have got to the place in Section 10 of the Jarod instructions where
> he suggests that you do
>     ivtvctl -u 0x3000
>     ivtvctl -p 4
>     ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480
>
> and then do
>     cat /dev/video1 > test.mpg    (yes on mine its video1)
> and mplayer test.mpg
>
> So the dumb question.
> WHAT CHANNEL are we trying to 'see' ???
> I see a 'bit' of static, but that wouldnt be all that odd if we are
> sitting on a nonexistant channel.
>
> Ive looked back, but dont see anything that sets the channel.
>
> If I do a
>     ivtvctl -R
> it reports
>     Frequency = 10132
> but trying to interpret that as 101.32MHz (?) doesnt give the edge or
> center of any broadcast or cable tv channel...
>
> SO what gives?

Direct from my doc, cut 'n' paste:

Use that copy of mplayer you installed a bit ago (as part of the mythtv-suite
install) to view the capture:

# mplayer /tmp/test_capture.mpg

If you get something that looks and sounds intelligible, then congrats, your
card is good to go! If not, and you're using the tuner input, it may be that
you aren't tuned to a channel you actually have a signal on. Try this combo,
which will let you watch the mpeg2 stream off the card while changing
channels:

 # /usr/lib/ivtv/ptune-ui.pl &
 # mplayer /dev/video0

Use the ptune UI to change channels, frequency tables, TV standard, etc., as
necessary, until you find a working channel.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...