[mythtv-users] OT: rsync, or is there a better option?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Dec 4 10:26:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:13:10PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 17:16, Brad Templeton wrote:
> I've had at least two crashes where I'm still able to use the disk, but
> lost a lot of data. For example, when bringing the system back after a
> crash it stops at a prompt telling me to run fsck. I've tried different
> ways of recovering, including running fsck on unmounted drives or
> running koppix and then running fsck. In any case having a backup would
> be nice.

You are using a journaling filesystem like xfs or ext3?  I would be
surprised if you aren't running ext3.  It would be highly unusual for
a journaled filesystem to lose a file (other than the one being
updated at the time of crash.)  Not that it's impossible if you
get a really strange crash but the whole point of a journaling filesystem
is that the disk is always in a consistent state so the plug can be
pulled at any moment.   You would need a crash that wrote random data
to the disk -- a nasty crash indeed.

> $30 (after rebates of course) for 160 gig doesn't seem that expensive.
> Good old day after Thanksgiving sales. Stick a couple in a low end PC
> you have laying around and you have a lot of network storage. I don't
> think it's an unreasonable cost.

True enough, disk continues to get very cheap.  Didn't see that, even
at Fry's after thanksgiving which is notorious for those, but they are
selling 160gb for around $50 right now, after rebates.