[mythtv-users] Re: New MythTV Hardware Review

Brad mythtv at braddolman.com
Sun Dec 5 22:20:26 UTC 2004

>It will be too late. 6 months from now, sale of tuner cards for HDTV
>that could be used in an open source environment will be banned. So while
>you may not get your HDTV display, you will be wanting to get your tuner
>card before June, and once you have it, you may as well put it in your
>system.

Its also worth noting that this law is only in the US (and very
stupid, IMHO). So it is possible, if you live outside the US, that
you will be able to buy the cards and record HDTV content - which
would surely drive adoption (but, hell, the US has already put off
HDTV adoption for 10 years already, what's another 10?!). Also - as a
side rant - how can the FCC seriously consider making every existing
HDTV decoder obsolete just when HDTV is taking off?!? I would be
FUMING mad!

If this sounds as stupid to you as it should, write or call your
congressmen and tell them that Hollywood has them over a barrel and
they are effectively removing your fair use rights.

Back to the original config question... Doug, I would suggest that
you also take a look at the Asus Pundit as a front-end for your
system. Its small, quiet, and fairly cheap. I'm very happy with mine.

Cheers,
Brad