[mythtv-users] external stb newbie

Geoff Scott geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 06:54:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 22:54:13 +0100, Kees van Bemmel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running mythtv .16 for a while now and it's absolutely
> great. The thing is that I just got digital television with an
> external settop box which I want to be able to record as well of
> course. Does anyone know where to start? And can it be done? I read
> something about LIRC transmitting signals, emulating a remote
> control??! And how do I record shows? Can I use the tv-in on one of my
> PVR-250's?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance.
>
> PS to give you an idea how I started... I used Jarod's guide and my
> knowledge of linux/mythtv has improved a bit but I'm still a newbie

Well, a good starting point is, once again, Jarod's guide.  Go to
"Tips 'n' Tricks", scroll down to "Controlling an external cable/sat
box", and give the two links a read.

If your cable box has a serial port, you'll want to go that way,
otherwise you will have to use an IR Blaster (that's where LIRC will
come in).

Geoff

--
I have some Gmail invites.