[mythtv-users] MoBo+PVR150 or 350?

Darren Hart darren at dvhart.com
Mon Dec 6 19:41:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:51 -0500, Fred Squires wrote:
> > But my question is what does it mean that everything comes through a
> > framebuffer - is that actually inferior quality or simply more processind
> > needed?
>
> The framebuffer is basically just what it sounds like, a buffer (some
> memory) where X can draw the video (or frames).  The reason why it's
> not as good is not  because it's a framebuffer but because the pvr 350
> doesn't do any video processing itself (except for mpeg2) so all
> processing must be done by the cpu.  This is different from most
> regular video cards (like the nvidia cards) where some of the video
> processing can be offloaded to the card.

I currently use the PVR-350 and am very happy with the quality of
recorded video playback.  The pvr-350 has outstanding tv-out quality -
but you can only really use it for playing videos it recorded or
non-demanding graphics (like the myth tv ui).

It isn't good for playing DVDs or VCDs or any other kind of video, and
you certainly wouldn't want to use it for mame or other games.  Once the
ivtv guys get direct yuv support working, the other video types should
play fine as well, but I doubt games will ever work well on it.  Also
note that the alpha channel of the png icons in mythtv aren't fully
supported on the pvr-350 output.  Rather than varying levels of
transparency, you only get transparent and opaque - so you just have to
pick a theme that looks good in that mode and you'll be fine.

As far as using a video card and a pvr-350, I have an nvidia card with
svideo out going to VCR1 on my receiver and the pvr-350 goes to
DTV/CABLE.  So I can watch the boot logs and use the console if the ssh
isn't working if I need to - but I *almost* never use it.  AFAIK you
need to have the svideo connected at boot for the nvidia cards to use
the tv-out - so having them both plugged into the receiver satisfies
that requirement.

Good luck.

Darren Hart <darren at dvhart.com>