[mythtv-users] DVD Ripping ?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 7 14:17:25 UTC 2004

Quoting Joakim Kolsjö <trejje at gmail.com>:

> I don't know anything about that, but if you want a good ripper in
> general try "dvd::rip", http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

I knew I had put this someplace safe...

Here's that script, it uses tccat (part of transcode) and not vobcopy.
This dumps it's data in the $PWD where you run it and assumes that the
DVD is mounted on /dvd.

It works pretty well. However, double layer discs can eat up space in
a hurry.

#!/bin/bash

mkdir VIDEO_TS
cd VIDEO_TS

 BUP=$(find /dvd | grep bup  )
 IFO=$(find /dvd | grep ifo  )
 FILES="$BUP $IFO"

 ###Grab the unencrypted files
 for file in $FILES
 do
   echo $file
   ###--- strip the directory name off and force to uppercase
   dest=$( echo $file | sed 's/.*\///g' | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]' )
   cp $file $dest
 done

 ###Grab the VOBS
 VOBS=$( find /dvd | grep vob )
for vob in $VOBS
do
   echo $vob
   ###--- strip the directory name off and force to uppercase
   dest=$( echo $vob | sed 's/.*\///g' | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]' )

  echo "tccat -i $vob > $dest"
  tccat -i $vob > $dest ###<--- The real important bit

done

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:50:31 -0500 (EST), Randy Carpenter
> <mythtv at rune.net> wrote:
> >
> > I mentioned this in a different email, but I'm not sure if people read it
> > all (it was a long message :) )
> >
> > Anyway... I'm looking for a way to put in a DVD, and have Myth rip the
> > whole disk, just as it is, and make a single image file of it (Including
> > menus, and extras). I then want to be able to play back that DVD at any
> > time. "DVD Jukebox" is what I am thinking.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > -Randy

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering,
that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some   |||
arbitrary point as it's rolling down the road.                      / | \