[mythtv-users] Dual tuners with different channels

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Wed Dec 8 08:44:47 UTC 2004

>>2. I want dual tuners, but don't want to hassle with 2 boxes. If I connect
>>a digital box with an IR blaster (giving me channels 2-78 analog, and
>>100-300+ digital), and I have a second tuner card with just analog cable
>>(2-78) coming in, can MythTV be configured to handle this? Recording
>>digital channels would need to default to the first tuner, but the first
>>tuner would also need to be able to record analog stations, in the event
>>that 2 analog stations needed to be recorded at the same time. I
>>understand that I cannot have dual tuners on digital stations. This is ok,
>>as I record very little from the digital stations.

I'm using a somewhat similar setupwith mythtv 0.16: I've got two (DVB-S)
sat receiver cards; both connected to the same dish. Both can receive
the free channels, but only one has a CAM Module for premiere pay tv.

Setup
1st card (DVB-0) ==> Card without crypto.
2nd card (DBV-1) ==> Card with crypto.

1st video source ==> free channels
2nd video source ==> pay-tv

Usig the gui, you can only enter a single cardinput for each card -
internaly myth is just fine with multiple entries however; you just have
to add them manually.

Card1 ==> free channels
Card2 ==> free channels
Card2 ==> pay tv

Having the "free only" card first makes it the default, so it gets used
first for channels it can handele and leaves the 2nd card free to handle
concurrent requests for pay tv channels.

Setup works just fine for scheduled recordings; watching live tv gives
some trouble however - if life tv starts un the 1st card it won't switch
to a pay-tv channel on the other card (channel number just gets
ignored). I have to manually witch reciecver cards to get to the pay tv
channels. Then again, I find I don't really watch life tv anyway given
the recording capabilities of the myth system.

Bye, martin