[mythtv-users] Can I play scaled HDTV content on a standard TV?

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Dec 8 22:32:47 UTC 2004

> So, just to clarify, the following is what I now believe to be true.
> Please confirm or deny:
>
> 1. HDTV shows can be watched on a standard definition TV, albeit at
> far less than true HD quality

Yes.

> 2. (#1) can be done without actually transcoding the recorded
> content

Yes.

> 3. (#2) is true because the video card is scaling the content
> on-the-fly

Yes, through Xv, but software can do it too (at the cost of
significant CPU).

> 4. If desired, the recorded HD show can be transcoded to a lower
> resolution.

Yes.

> 5. If (#4) is done, playback of the transcoded show will require much
> less processing power than playback of the original (non-transcoded)
> HD show

Yes, if you amortize over lots of playings or consider only the
playback-time CPU usage: the actual transcoding will take more CPU
power than viewing the recording once, but if you don't have enough
CPU power to view the recording in realtime, you don't have much
choice anyway. :)

Cheers,
Kyle