[mythtv-users] Right Channel -> No Audio in Mythtv

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Dec 10 00:01:37 UTC 2004

James Tucker wrote:
> I'll be brief: *
> System:* Xp 1900+, Soundblaster Live!, FC3 with latest Atrpms Myth
> *Problem:* While in mythtv, watching live tv i get no audio on my right
> channel. When i use tvtime, audio is fine.  I have configured according
> to chapter 7 of the manual, using the command line each time i boot
> (alsactl wont store my settings...?)

I'm not saying that this is the only possibility by any means
but the only time(s) I've seen (heard?) this behavior is when,
for some funky reason, the settings didn't get set or saved
correctly and it only set the CAPTUR for one of the two channels
in /etc/asound.state . Look for the 'Capture Source' control section.
Here is an excerpt from a machine that had only recorded one channel.
(yours will have a different number and options):

        control.22 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type ENUMERATED
                comment.item.0 Mic
                comment.item.1 CD
                comment.item.2 Video
                comment.item.3 Aux
                comment.item.4 Line
                comment.item.5 Mix
                comment.item.6 'Mix Mono'
                comment.item.7 Phone
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Source'
                value.0 Aux
                value.1 Mic

"Mic" is the default but I needed to capture my Aux input so I
edited the file to have:

                name 'Capture Source'
                value.0 Aux
                value.1 Aux

Ran "alsactl restore" and then it recorded both channels as
expected.

--  bjm