[mythtv-users] RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations formythbackend ma

John Andersen jsa at video.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 10 05:18:00 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 16:36, travis eddy wrote:
>  i'm not longer buying WD i think i am
> going to start going with maxtors )

As to which drives are best, lets not start that flame war again.
I've seen plenty of crappy Maxtors too.
I go with who ever has the longest warranty.  Right now, I think
seagate is the only one offering 5 years.  Could be wrong.

Its been a while since I purchased drives, since my IBM DeskStars
refuse to die.  But every time I mention this 57 people come screaming
about them being DEATHSTARs and they would never buy one.  YMMV.

I've been using the 40gig DeathStars is a software raid 5 for about 4 years
and have had exactly one problem when a brown out took out the
power supply.  All drives survived, but one was corrupt.  Determined
which one it was, Failed it with mdadm, whiped it, set it as spare
with mdadm and before I could get my hands off the keyboard
software raid started rebuilding the array (but intelligently not using
the full bandwidth to do so).  Meantime my applications were
humming along just fine but a little slower due to the degraded
raid.

--