[mythtv-users] Re: RAID5 ATA IDE hardware card recommendations for mythbackend machine

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Dec 11 04:28:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:18:23PM -0500, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:36:55 +0000, Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The problem is that there is *NO* economical backup solution for
> > > end-users with hundreds of GB of data. The only thing that comes close
> > > is to have another RAID in another machine that you mirror to.
> [deletia]
> > 400Gb drives are becoming common and cheap.
> >
> > Plus a surge plug is not that expensive.
>
> For me it's more an all-eggs-in-one-basket/HDD issue, less of a
> backup/archival issue.  Also, this machine was a fully UPS'd machine;
> expired warranty killed it, not surges. ;-)
>
> Yes, to get an equivalent amount of real storage in a RAID
> configuration I'd need 3x200GB (2 storage + 1 error correction) or

Why would you want to do RAID for a backup machine?  Assuming we are
talking disks full of backups, you already have 2 copies of that data,
so you are not in trouble if a drive fails, you just put up a new one
and backup the original data again.

RAID is for systems that need to be always up, that dare not be taken
down to replace a drive etc.  That's not true of backup servers.