[mythtv-users] a few questions about startup process

Noel Murphy bnmurphy at rogers.com
Tue Dec 14 03:20:14 UTC 2004

I have been following Jarod's guide for setting up my FC3 mythbox.

I have 1 sort of working, however not 100%.

First off, I've added the lines:

# ivtv modules setup
  alias char-major-81 videodev
  alias char-major-81-0 ivtv

to my /etc/modprobe.conf file however upon reboot, the ivtv drivers are
not loaded (at least live tv doesn't work and there is nothing in
/var/messages to indicate it did load)

If I run the commands:
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ivtv

Everything starts working again. What am I missing? I never 'get'
drivers in linux, but don't the lines added to modprobe.conf say which
drivers to load?

On a totally different note, my "auto login / start" stuff seems
screwed.

I did the command:
ln -s /usr/bin/mythfrontend ~/.kde/Autostart/mythfrontend

and now I get 2 instances of the frontend on startup. If I remove the
file from the "Autostart" folder, then no instances start. Any ideas
why it is doing my autostart stuff twice?

Noel