[mythtv-users] Thoughts on CD ripping

Andrew Wilson agwilson at rhetorical.com
Tue Dec 14 15:50:10 UTC 2004

Here's what I'm trying to do, has anyone tried this before....?

When I put a CD into the drive, I want the system to immediately start
playing it just as a proper CD player would, while at the same time
ripping it to disk so you don't need to put the CD in again.

- Can myth do this? Can any other music programs do this?

I'm using an EPIA M10k which doesn't have enough oomph to encode to mp3
in a reasonable timeframe, looking at about 30 mins for a CD, which is
too long.

However, I've got a nice fast CD rom, which in theory should be able to
copy a music CD to disk in a couple of minutes or so.

So, how about this for an idea:
- Read the CD into a (ISO?) file, and start playing the audio
immediately from the file rather than off the CD.
- Eject the CD as soon as the disk has been read, but continue to play
audio out of the ISO image
- Rip the ISO to mp3/ogg/whatever in your own time, and delete the ISO
once it's completed.

Is this feasible? Where would I start?

Andrew