[mythtv-users] UK Sky FTV Hardware reqs

Will egroups at klubbing.com
Tue Dec 14 22:46:47 UTC 2004

Check here: http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

>From that site, my understanding is that the only channels you get extra
with a 'free to view' viewing card are ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

I also believe that 'free to view' cards only work on the Sky digibox
(probably because they use Seca 2 scrambling or something), and not on any
PC card with CAM reader.

You have 2 options in my opinion:

Sky do a 'free to view' install with digibox for about 150 all in. You
could get this, and use an infrared transmitter to change the channels on
the digibox to get the appropriate channels (however obviously your mythbox
would re-encode the signal and you would get a loss in quality).

Get a standard DVB-S card and get all 'free to air' channels apart from the
3 mentioned above. Use in conjuction with your DVB-T card to get all
channels (DVB-T also has some channels that DVB-S doesn't).

Just for reference (I am not endorsing this site as I've never used it), but
the following place seems to have a good selection of (cheap?) dishes etc..
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/fixed-dishes.htm

Hope this helps,

Will

PS. I'd get a FTA system running if only the other half let me stick a dish
on the front of the house!!