[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Tue Dec 14 23:53:57 UTC 2004

    Paul> I just had my second Western Digital Special Edition 200 GB
    Paul> drive die on me.  Since I'm using an ASUS Pundit, I figured
    Paul> heat was the culprit, so the second drive had a dual-fan
    Paul> cooler on it.  No such luck.  After about three months of
    Paul> use, performance suddenly degrades, and the journals begin
    Paul> to corrupt.  A few days later, I/O errors crop up, and the
    Paul> drive is pretty much useless.  Are these drives just not up
    Paul> to the stress of a PVR?  I'm interested in hearing what kind
    Paul> of drives people have had good luck with, as I've about had
    Paul> it with these.  I'll get my third on warranty, but It won't
    Paul> be going back into a myth box.

In the past I have had lots of problems with hard disks on my 24x7
Linux server. Hard disks (from all major brands) were dieing between 3
months and 13 months (one month after warranty).

I ended up paying more for 4 hard disks (WD) with 3 year warranty. The
hard disks in my Linux server are still working perfectly - I am a bit
suspicious of the hard disks in my mythtv system (once I tried to boot
up and one hard disk didn't come online - I took the computer apart,
pulled the IDE connector out, and put everything back together and it
suddenly started working again... However, I sometimes get bad looking
hard disk error messages on boot up when I look...)
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>