[mythtv-users] mpeg2 decoder card (+console video)

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 09:09:07 UTC 2004

I've seen a few messages go by about current video boards, but I think
my requirements are somewhat unusual (perhaps not).

I live in China and (since I don't understand Chinese) don't need any TV
capture capability.
All I want is to be able to is play back digital videos (mainly recorded
using my ReplayTV - which is no longer available) to a TV.

I have a cube server box with an MSI nForce3 250Gb based mobo in it. It
has several large disks. I have a basic PCI video card - nVidia TNT2, I
think it is - it works fine as a console driver.

So, I assume it would be good for me to get a card with an mpeg2 decoder
on it? It might be nice to get an AGP card due to the fast path to
memory, but do such things exist?

I was looking at the Huappage PVR-350, but thought I'd get advice before
laying down cash. I would be interested if the function could be
combined with a new video card since the TNT2 is a little noisey.

What is the current 'best' card out there?

Max.