[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - XLiveCD and Myth on a Windows Machine

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Dec 15 20:56:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:37:31AM -0500, Craig Partin wrote:
> You might have better luck with this:
>
> http://winmyth.sourceforge.net/
>
> Unless you could somehow get mythfrontend onto the XLiveCD

Those folks seem to be writing a myth frontend for Windows directly.
Another appraoch would have been to port it using cygwin and cygwin/X,
though that would be heavier.   But then easier to run on that liveCD.

They report having to do a lot of work to figure out the protocol for
myth, which surprises me, I would have hoped the myth linux developers
would have been willing to spend a short time documenting it for them.
Of course they had the source, which makes figuring it out a lot easier
than packet sniffing, if harder than having docs.

I presume the myth folks may also not want to etch their protocol in
stone, which happens when other folks write implementations.

There is a knoppmyth livecd (which boots your machine, you don't run
it under windows) which includes mythfrontend, though it's a pain
to have to configure the raw IPs of your database each time.

(Perhaps they did it and I didn't see docs but a good idea on live CDs
is to ask permission to store a small file in an existing filesystem on
the computer and use that to store state.   In this case all you need
would be a few dozen bytes to point to the database and get everything
else there.)