[mythtv-users] Security concerns for my myth box

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 00:09:39 UTC 2004

Very interested to hear some knowledgable users comments on this.

I am behind a NAT router, have a dynamix IP but will use dynDNS, and I
have port 80 blocked by ISP.  I plan to open SSH and a port for HTTP
(1010 or 1080) so I can use MythWeb when out of the house.  I will
obvisouly change my crappy root password when I get to opening the
ports..

Cheers,
Whytey

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:16:14 -0500, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading the post about the poor soul who's box was rooted, it
> got me to worrying about my own.  Right now I feel pretty safe with
> the box behind a NAT hardware firewall.  I do want to open some ports
> for SSH and HTTP connections and wonder what security considerations I
> might be missing.
>
> The myth user is logged in with sudo passwordless renice access.
> Services are run as root and the frontend and X are setuid root.  It's
> a basic gentoo install with no additional security related tweaking.
> openSSH, MySQL, and Apache2 are the only network daemons running.
>
> What security measures do others have in place?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH