[mythtv-users] How to add more recording disk space: Christmas is coming !

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 16 16:03:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:11:20AM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> Myth is not great at this.  I symphathise with the need to punt things,
> and so they punted this problem to the lvm system that can be found
> in most modern linux kernels.   You need to have it or install it.
>
> I think in the long run this is a poor punt because if people did not
> set up their disk with LVM, it's a hard slog to switch things over.
>
> In addition, LVM won't handle the idea of having some control over what
> disk programs go on, and of storing programs on a network mounted filesystem
> as well as a local one.   This makes some sense.   Also, if you want to
> use hard drives as an archive, you would like to tell it to move files
> to a given filesystem.
>
> However, I also agree that managing multiple systems, tracking the
> free space on each and figuring the right thing to do is also hard.
>
> Anyway, as to your problem -- do you have lvm?  (man lvm)
>
> If you do, did you make your video partition on lvm?  If so, your
> problem is easy, mount your new disk, extend your video partition onto
> it, then after you delete the shows to make your space requirements
> small again, remove the disk from lvm.  It should do it all.

Alas, the real *good* choice of filesystem to place atop your LM
volumes for Myth is XFS, *and XFS filesystems cannot be shrunken*.

If you're going to do it this way, you really need to know if this is
also true of whatever filesystem you chose when you set up your video
storage partition -- I gather some others have the same problem.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me