[mythtv-users] Adding extra recorder disk space for Christmas !

Peter Lee peteratcmu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 20:28:24 UTC 2004

Switching over to LVM has to be done carefully, but I've done it and
so it can't really be all that hard.  The basic steps:

1) install the new disk, and set it up for LVM as a big physical
volume in a volume group.

2) make a single big logical volume on this, and then format for your
favorite filesystem (I use xfs, as suggested by Jarod's guide).

3) hopefully your current video files will fit on this new filesystem,
so that you can copy them all over to it.  this took some time on my
system.

4) then, destroy the old video partition and add it to the LVM volume
group to extend the logical volume.

5) grow your xfs (or whatever) file system to span both your new disk
and the old partition.

I found the how-to document at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ to
be very helpful.

Peter