[mythtv-users] Hauppage remote pvr350

David Smith rdsmith at pobox.com
Fri Dec 17 21:53:44 UTC 2004

At 02:39 PM 12/17/2004, Jeff Simpson wrote:
>try linking /dev/lirc to /dev/lirc0
>
>ln /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc -s
>
>  - Jeff
>
>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:28:09 +0100, sigurdne <sigurdne at online.no> wrote:
> > Trying irrecord (as root) gives me:
> >
> > <snip>
> > irrecord: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
> > irrecord: default_init(): No such file or directory
> > irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check
> > permissions)
> > </snip>

Just went through this myself.  Personally, I don't like the symlink idea.

I ended up modifying  /etc/init.d/lircd and changed the daemon lircd
command in the start section.
This forces the lircd daemon to use /dev/lirc0.
Looks like this:
<..snip..>
start(){
         if [ -f /etc/lircd.conf ]; then
                 echo -n $"Starting infrared remote control daemon: "
                 daemon lircd -d /dev/lirc0
                 RETVAL=$?
                 echo
         fi
  <..snip..>

This is really wierd because everything worked fine until I rebooted after
I installed it.