[mythtv-users] MythTV noob

Jason potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com
Sat Dec 18 07:38:18 UTC 2004

My second, and current, MythTV box is an Asus Pundit (not the Pundit-R)
with a 2.4 Mhz P4 (overclocked to 2.8), 256MB RAM, and a PVR-350.
On my first MythTV box, (with was a 400 Mhz AMD K-6) I was using the
PVR-350's video out. It definitely took some work to get the video-out
working, but now with more recent versions of IVTV and much better
documentation around, it would be much easier for you than it was for
me. When I got the Pundit, I gave the built-in video-out a try (via
S-video) and found the image to be very satisfactory on my 27". Though
the image may be slightly better with the 350's TV-out but, for now, I
rather not go through the hassle for a negligible difference. Another
reason I am not setting up the 350's video-out is because I just
purchased a PC-HDTV card. My Pundit does seem to HDTV test clips
without stuttering, and the PVR-350 can't output HDTV without it being
transcoded (so no live tv). Also the built in video has DVI out, so
when I get a HDTV TV I'll be able that connection versus the S-video.

Hope that helps,

Jason